Pharmacy technicians assist licensed pharmacists in providing medication and other healthcare products to patients. Ready to get started? Request a Program Brochure!
Regulations and requirements for certification, registration, and licensure of pharmacy technicians vary by state. Some states may include additional requirements beyond those offered in our program. Residents of FL, LA, ND, RI, SC, UT, NY and WA will not be able to gain licensure from Barton's online program. Prospective students should contact the Board of Pharmacy in the state(s) where they plan to work to confirm the requirements before enrolling. Please visit the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) for links to find your state board of pharmacy information.
What They Do
- Technicians perform routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication, such as counting tablets, labeling bottles and preparing IV's and drug compounds
- Technicians also perform administrative duties, such as answering phones, inventory replenishment, order management and insurance billing
- Pharmacy Technicians work in retail pharmacies, mail-order pharmacies, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted-living facilities, grocery stores, department stores and mass retailers
- Pharmacy Technicians work with patients, co-workers and healthcare professionals and require strong customer service and communication skills
What Barton Offers
- Completion Certificate (29 credit hours)
- Designed to be completed in two semesters including an internship within a Pharmacy
- Prepares the student for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) and the Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ICPT) national certification exams
Why Barton’s Pharmacy Technician Program?
- This program is offered in a 100% online format
- Internship will be completed by student at an approved pharmacy site
- Financial aid available for all programs for eligible students
- Online - no driving or set course times
- Completion in two semesters for quick transition to the workforce
- Enroll for BARTonline courses
- Student support includes an online orientation and counseling
Hands-On Experience with Technology from the Industry
By partnering with PioneerRx Pharmacy Software, our program allows students to learn in a real-world environment using the most installed software for independent pharmacies. Students enhance their clinical and functional skills by training in a pharmacy system that is innovative, robust, and feature-rich. Read what current pharmacy leaders are saying about PioneerRx at Pharmacy Software Reviews."
- Employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations
- Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services
- Median hourly wage for pharmacy technicians was $15.26 in May 2017
Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook