What is a digital graphic designer?
As a digital graphic designer, you are a visual communicator. You create visual concepts both by hand and by using computer software. You communicate ideas to inform and inspire people.
In this ever-changing environment, graphic designers communicate a particular idea or identity to be used in advertising and promotions by using a variety of digital media tools and platforms.
What does a digital graphic designer do?
Digital graphics combine art and technology to communicate ideas through images and the layout of web screens and printed pages.
A good digital graphic designer meets clients’ requirements and conveys information effectively to the audience. As a digital graphic designer, you are in charge of:
- Traditional prints design: Logos, posters, billboards, packaging, brochures, and other marketing materials.
- Digital marketing design: Website design, social media graphics, virtual event design, newsletter design, digital ads, and other related digital branding and marketing.
What can I do with a digital graphics degree?
The road to career success looks different for everyone. With a degree in digital graphics, you might think there is just a single answer—become a graphic designer—but the options are much more varied than that:
- Graphic designer
- Marketing specialist
- Creative Director
- Art director
- Content creator
- Website designer
Digital graphics are so profoundly versatile, that your imagination and your passion for the work can take it almost anywhere.
Not limiting our students’ options and providing hands-on practices with internal and external experiences make our program unique for students. In this program, we:
- focus on industry needs
- offer you hands-on practices and experiences
- encourage your creativity
- assist you becoming a competent visual communicator
- provide you the opportunity to use software to generate eye-catching media concepts and products
- offer you transfer program options
Digital graphic students find employment in a variety of settings, which include advertising, independent graphic studios, publishing houses, printing companies, service bureaus, newspapers, magazine publishers, financial/insurance institutions, television, fashion and movie studios. Advertising is an integral part of the business system, with major corporations spending over $100 million on web sites, ads, and commercials for print, broadcast, the Internet, and outdoor media. Well-trained, talented artists who have a mastery of artistic materials, techniques, different mediums and skills are more likely to gain full-time employment. Employers are hiring candidates who possess a variety of skills, especially knowledge of computer software, rather than specialists in one particular area.
2018-2020 Curriculum Guides: Students who enrolled in their program prior to Fall 2020 should use the following Curriculum Guide.
Associate in Arts (Transfer)
Barton Community College can prepare you for transfer to the college or university of your choice.
Associate in Arts
2018-2020 Graphic Design - Transfer to University
2020-2022 Curriculum Guides: Newly admitted or returning re-admitted students for Fall 2020 or later should use the following Curriculum Guide.
Associate in Arts
2020-2022 Digital Graphics - Transfer to University
- Internal: In house digital work for on-campus events, clubs, sports team, departments, quick print shops, sign shops, and social media.
- External: Digital graphics for local business, non-profit organizations and community events.