Join us for the 19th Annual Jack Kilby STEM Day!
Barton is happy to announce that our Keynote Speaker for 2023 is Dr. Kate Biberdorf.
For more information contact the Jack Kilby STEM Day Committee at (620) 792-9200 or JKSTEMDay@bartonccc.edu.
Why Dr. Kate Biberdorf is Captivating Audiences
At the University of Texas, Dr. Kate Biberdorf is breaking stereotypes and blowing stuff up – all in a good pair of heels. Through her theatrical and hands-on approach to teaching, Dr. Biberdorf is breaking down the image of the stereotypical scientist, while reaching students that might otherwise be intimidated by science. Students’ emotional responses, rather than rote memorization of facts, is key to Biberdorf’s dynamic approach to her program, as well as science in general. Her exciting and engaging program leaves audiences with a positive, memorable impression of science – all while diminishing the stigma around women in science. She has appeared on The Today Show, The Kelly Clarkson Show, NBC Nightly News, The Wendy Williams Show and Late Night with Stephen Colbert.
Dr. Biberdorf is the author of Kate the Chemist: The Big Book of Experiments, a collection of 25 kid-friendly science experiments that come prepared with a messiness factor rating and a note from Kate about how each experiment works. She released Dragons vs. Unicorns, a children’s novel, in 2020. Her latest book is It’s Elemental: Chemistry in Everything, released in Summer of 2021. It’s a chemistry guide that explains the science we experience every day.
You can find more about Dr. Kate Biberdorf on her Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, or website.
- When - November 20, 2023
- Time - 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where - Barton Community College Campus (Maps)
- Who's invited - All high school juniors and seniors, plus students with appropriate IEPs, high school instructors, staff, and administrators.
- Cost - JKSD is FREE for all attendees, but registration is required.
Teacher/Sponsor Registration will open at the beginning of September. Teacher/Sponsors must register for their school before student registration can take place.
Student Registration will open in mid-September. Deadline is November 10th.
Schedule of Events:
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Check in for registration (Fine Arts building)
- 9:00 a.m. - 9:05 a.m. - Welcome Assembly (Fine Arts Auditorium)
- 9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Session 1 - Keynote Speaker (Fine Arts Auditorium) OR Breakout Session 1 / Math Bowl Round 1
- 10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - Session 2 - Breakout 2 / Math Bowl Finals
- 11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Session 3 - Keynote Speaker (Fine Arts Auditorium) OR Lunch/Campus Tour
- 12:15 p.m. - 1 p.m. - Session 4 - Breakout 3 OR Lunch/Campus Tour
Breakout Session Pathways / Math Bowl
Students will choose from the pathways described below. Within each pathway, students will select two breakout sessions.
Pathways are either:
- Blue Path: Keynote / Breakout 2 / Lunch & Campus Tour / Breakout 3
- Gold Path: Breakout 1 / Breakout 2 / Keynote / Lunch & Campus Tour
Math bowl will host 16 teams of 3 members each. For Math Bowl select the Gold Path during registration. Math Bowl awards will be given at the end of the Keynote session in the Gold Path.
Breakout Session Activities:
Descriptions will be available by Sept 10th.