Kirkman building on campus in Fall

Students with Unusual Enrollment History

< Back to Applying for Federal Aid

Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) flags:  Beginning in 2013-14, some Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs) will be flagged for “unusual enrollment history” by the U. S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received federal Pell Grants at multiple institutions in recent years.  Flags “2” and “3” require that the current institution review the student’s enrollment history and determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of federal student aid.

Please note: the Barton Financial Aid Office, in the process of reviewing a student’s UEH flag, will check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for complete enrollment history (i.e., name of each school attended during the 2018-19, 2019-20, and 2020-21 academic years – the review period – and dates of attendance).

How to Resolve

Upon review of your official college transcripts, if Pell Grants were received and credit hours (passing grades:  A - D) were not earned at each institution attended during these award years, the student may be determined ineligible for further federal financial aid.

  • If your Student Aid Report (SAR) includes UEH flag, you will be required to complete the Unusual Enrollment History Review form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office along with all required documentation. Barton's Financial Aid Office will then determine your eligibility for Federal Aid.

Appealing the Ineligibility Determination

If a student has been determined by Barton to be ineligible for Federal Student Aid on the basis of (or lack of) documentation, he/she may appeal the determination by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

Regaining Federal Student Aid Eligibility

Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of their UEH can be re-considered for Federal Student Aid after meeting with an academic advisor, completing a minimum of 6 credit hours, not dropping or withdrawing from (officially or unofficially) any courses after the term begins, and meeting the College’s standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  View Barton's SAP Policy

 Annual, Aggregate, and Lifetime Limits, and Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

  • Federal Pell Grants may be received for up to twelve (12) full-time semesters.  (Pell Grants received for part-time attendance are pro-rated against the 12 full-time semesters.)
  • There are annual and aggregate borrowing limits on Federal Direct Loans.
  • All financial aid programs are subject to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements, which measure students’ progress toward program completion.   Components of SAP are a minimum GPA, minimum completion rate, and maximum time frame.  View Barton's SAP Policy

To help students achieve academic success before exhausting federal financial aid limits, Barton encourages students to seek academic advising when planning their course schedules and throughout their college experience.  When facing academic difficulties, students are encouraged to seek tutoring and other support services through their advisor.