< Back to Assessment of Student Learning
Barton’s Assessment Institute is an in-house training program developed to educate faculty and staff on the assessment of student learning and to develop the next generation of assessment leaders.
Barton’s Assessment Institute helps its employees, students, and the institution, and addresses the following issues:
- Who will be the next assessment leaders at Barton? (Sustainability)
- Who understands the holistic assessment picture at Barton? (Consistency)
- How will Barton ensure continuous quality improvement? (Empowerment)
Participants, selected from employees within their first few years of employment, meet approximately once a month and complete the following tasks between sessions:
- Read assigned assessment literature.
- Familiarize themselves with specific policies/procedures/handbooks.
- Complete an assessment task.
- Participate and reflect in discussions.
- Education with current assessment literature.
- Membership on Assessment Subcommittees.
- Hands-on practice with direct supervision.
- Time for reflection on what has been learned.
- Active discussion-based learning.
- Participants gained confidence in their knowledge and ability to participate in and to contribute to Assessment Committees and projects.
The Assessment Institute graduated its fourth class in 2022 with an added eleven participants, bringing the total number to 31 completing the given curriculum.