< Back to Types of Financial Aid
To honor the many academic accomplishments, talents and interests of our students, Barton Community College offers a diverse range of scholarship opportunities. These institutional scholarships include:
Academic Scholarships, Barton Foundation Scholarships, Activity and Departmental Awards, Boost Scholarships, Employee Scholarships, Other Special Scholarships and Athletic Scholarships
*To be considered for any institutional scholarships, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
*Any of the Barton Tuition or Tuition/Fees Scholarships are available for courses taken on campus or via Barton Online. However, the scholarship will always pay the in-state, on-campus tuition/fees rate.
*Book scholarships are not applicable to courses taken online or on any campus other than the Great Bend campus.
Barton Bound Scholarship - Awarded to first-time students graduating from a Kansas High School the previous academic year.
|Scholarship||Scholarship Amount||Kansas HS GPA (7th Semester)|
|Excellence Scholarship||Tuition & Books||3.5 and Above|
|Honor Scholarship||$1,000||3.0 - 3.49|
|Achievement Scholarship||$700||2.5 - 2.99|
- To qualify, you must submit a Barton Bound application located in Scholarship Universe no later than August 1st. (January 1st for students graduating in December.)
- Please note, this application will be available in Scholarship Universe January 1, 2023.
- To access the application, log into your MyBarton Portal and click on Scholarship Universe located on the Financial Aid card. Then click on Applications to the left of the screen.
- To receive the scholarship, you must be enrolled full-time (12 credits) per semester.
- Your cumulative GPA at the end of your 7th semester in High School will be used to award the scholarship.
- You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before any institutional scholarships will be awarded. Application website: www.studentaid.gov Barton school code: 004608
- The following classes are not eligible for Barton Bound scholarships: LSEC, BSEP and TROOP.
- The scholarship will be available for six full-time semesters, automatically renewing each year as long as you are attending and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- If you are receiving the Barton Bound Scholarship in 2022-23, it will automatically renew based upon the cumulative Barton GPA at the end of the spring semester.
- If you are receiving an Excellence Books Scholarship, you must return the books by any published deadlines or you will be charged for the cost of the books. Additionally, failure to return the books to the Barton bookstore may result in the loss of the tuition/book scholarship for future semesters.
Barton Foundation Scholarships
Endowed and Restricted Scholarships— due to the generosity of Barton Community College Foundation donors, the Foundation is able to offer academic scholarships to students that meet the funding criteria of the individual giving the financial support. The money for the Foundation scholarships is privately funded which makes it possible to offer traditional or non-traditional students financial assistance. These scholarships are separate from the scholarship award the traditional students may receive from the Admissions Office based on academic achievement, and a different application must be completed. To apply for a Barton Foundation Scholarship, please follow the steps below:
Log into your MyBarton Portal
Under the Financial Aid card, click on the Scholarship Universe link.
On the left side, click on the Applications tab.
Here you will find the Foundation Scholarship Application on the list of available applications. Click on the Start Application button to get started.
For instructions on how to use Scholarship Universe, please click here.
Activity and Departmental Awards
Activity and departmental awards are offered to Kansas residents attending full-time (12 credit hours), by instructors or staff from various Barton programs. Selection is made for special skills and/or performing abilities and the student is expected to complete specified obligations, including attending face-to-face courses located on the Great Bend campus. Students must also be actively participating in practices, performances or competitions during the term(s) that they receive these scholarships. The sponsor administering the award determines contract obligations and award amounts.
Areas offering Activity and departmental awards include Band, Vocal, Agriculture, Drama, Student Senate, Admissions, Athletic Student Trainers, Dance Line, and Cheer Leading, Hispanic American Leadership Organization (HALO), Art, Business, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood, EMS, Medical Assistant, MLT, Music, Computer Networking, Natural Gas and Welding.
Barton Boost Scholarships
These scholarships are available for Barton service area students who display financial need. The Barton service area includes these counties: Barton, Ellsworth, Pawnee, Rush, Russell, Stafford, and Rice counties.
Barton Boost is available for high school students who meet the income criteria for Federal TRIO Programs. Below is an example of the income criteria to determine a student's eligibility for the 2022-23 academic year. Applicants for the Barton Boost scholarship will only need to apply one time. Awarding of this scholarship for subsequent years will be based on the initial application.
To submit a Barton Boost application, please log into your MyBarton portal and click on Scholarship Universe on the Financial Aid card. To the left of the screen is a section called Applications where the Barton Boost Scholarship can be found. Students must have submitted an admissions application with their estimated high school graduation date for the application to be available. For instructions on how to use Scholarship Universe, please click here.
|Persons in Family/Household||Free/Reduced Lunch Income Criteria|
Benefit and Employee Scholarships
Employee Tuition Scholarships
Available to Full-time Barton Faculty/Staff, Regular Part-time Barton Faculty/Staff and Barton Associate Faculty/Outreach Site Coordinators.
View Tuition Scholarship Policies and How to Apply
Tuition Voucher Application
Silver Promise Scholarship
Residents of Barton's Service Areas who are over 65 years of age at the time of enrollment may be eligible to receive a scholarship for the amount of their tuition. This is an automatic benefit and does not require application.
Competing in the NJCAA, Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference, our athletic teams offer performance based scholarships to student-athletes attending face to face courses located on the Great Bend campus. Students must be actively participating in practices and/or competitions during the term(s) that they receive athletic scholarships and attending full-time (12 credit hours).
Scholarship offers and amounts are determined by individual coaches and athletic staff.