What They Do
- Pharmacy technicians assist licensed pharmacists in providing medication and other healthcare products to patients
- Technicians perform routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication, such as counting tablets, labeling bottles and preparing IV's and drug compounds
- Technicians also perform administrative duties, such as answering phones, inventory replenishment, order management and insurance billing
- Pharmacy Technicians work in retail pharmacies, mail-order pharmacies, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted-living facilities, grocery stores, department stores and mass retailers
- Pharmacy Technicians work with patients, co-workers and healthcare professionals and require strong customer service and communication skills
What Barton Offers
- Completion Certificate (29 credit hours)
- Designed to be completed in two semesters including an internship within a Pharmacy
- Prepares the student for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) and the Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ICPT) national certification exams
Why Barton’s Pharmacy Technician Program?
- This program is offered in a 100% online format
- Internship will be completed by student at an approved pharmacy site
- Financial aid available for all programs for eligible students
- Online - no driving or set course times
- Completion in two semesters for quick transition to the workforce
- Enroll for BARTonline courses
- Student support includes an online orientation and counseling
Occupational Outlook and Earnings
- Employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations
- Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services
- Median hourly wage for pharmacy technicians was $15.26 in May 2017
Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook
Hands-On Experience with Technology from the Industry
By partnering with PioneerRx Pharmacy Software, our program allows students to learn in a real-world environment using the most installed software for independent pharmacies. Students enhance their clinical and functional skills by training in a pharmacy system that is innovative, robust, and feature-rich. Read what current pharmacy leaders are saying about PioneerRx at Pharmacy Software Reviews."
2018-2020 Curriculum Guides: Students who enrolled in their program prior to Fall 2020 should use should use the following Curriculum Guide.
2020-2022 Curriculum Guides: Newly admitted or returning re-admitted students for Fall 2020 or later should use the following Curriculum Guide.