Application Process for Federal Financial Aid
Apply for Admission to Barton CCC. Click here to apply online now.
The student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web. Complete the FAFSA on the web at www.fafsa.gov.
- Include Barton's school code on your FAFSA. Our school code is 004608.
- An application filed electronically by the Financial Aid Office will take approximately two weeks to be processed. The Federal Processor will return information to the Financial Aid Office electronically in the form of an ISIR. When an ISIR is returned to the office by the Federal Processor, the student will receive a one page abbreviated SAR in the form of an Information Acknowledgment from the Federal Processor.
- Application for federal aid cannot be made until after January 1st prior to the award year and cannot be made any later than June 30th of the award year. (Example: For the 2012-13 school year, a student may apply from January 1, 2012 until June 30, 2013.
- The email that the student provides on their FAFSA will be the means of communication used by both the Department of Education and the Barton Financial Aid Officers.
The student must submit all requested documents to the Financial Aid Office. Once our office has received your processed FAFSA students can view their financial aid status on their PAWS
account. If your FAFSA is selected for Verification the Financial Aid Office will contact the student requesting additional documentation. Any or all of the following documents may be requested:
- Household Verification Form
- Income Verification Form
Signed Tax Transcripts for previous year (student and/or parent's, spouse)
- W-2 Forms (student and/or parent's, spouse)
- Transcripts (from any college previously attended)
- Copy of student's Social Security card
- Copy of student's Selective Service Registration
- Documentation verifying student's independent status
- Cured Default documentation
- Copy of student's birth certificate
- INS documentation
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Professional judgment application
- Any other document deemed necessary by the FAO
Priority deadlines for all requested documents to reach the Financial Aid Office are November 15th of the Fall semester, April 15th of the Spring semester and June 15th of the summer session. The Financial Aid Office cannot guarantee a file will be processed and disbursed after priority deadlines are passed.
The Financial Aid Office will award the student's federal aid and then notify the student via the student's Barton email that the award can be viewed on the Barton web site by accessing their PAWS account.
Pell grants are awarded based on full-time enrollment. The actual Pell grant that is paid to the student is based on the student's freeze date. See Disbursement Policies and Procedures.
There are additional steps that need to be done to accept a student loan and to have it certified. See Student Loan Information.
Go to Sidebar Content
After the student's aid has been applied to his or her account a refund will be issued via the students Barton Choice card for any remaining credit. Students will not receive a refund if there is an unpaid balance on their account.